12th October 2017

How To Renew Your European Health Insurance Card

How To Renew Your European Health Insurance Card

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is valid for 5 years. Make sure your EHIC is valid before your travel. You can renew your EHIC before six months of the expiration date and it’s free. If none of your personal details have changed, you can renew it online.

If you live abroad, posted on job, receive a UK State Pension or exportable UK benefit and need to renew your EHIC, contact the Overseas Healthcare.

You must contact the Overseas Healthcare Team at the Department of Work and Pensions via the following address:

Overseas Healthcare Team

Room MO601

Durham House


Tyne & Wear

Newcastle upon Tyne

NE38 7SF

You can also call at 0191 218 1999 on Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm.


If you need to renew EHIC of some of your family cards, enter details of all family members to ensure that the whole family is linked in. You will be informed about those cards that cannot be renewed, expired and the time duration to be renewed.

To change your personal details in your EHIC online, you must have your Personal Identification Number (PIN), which you can find on your EHIC card. The PIN begins with “UK” and followed by your date of birth. For Example “UK123456”. If you don’t have your PIN number, you won’t be able to change it online. If you want to enquiry about the changes in your details, contact the enquiry line 0300 330 1350. You will have to provide your full name, UK address, date of birth and your PIN if you know it.

Also, you can email at nhsbsa.ehicenquiries@nhsbsa.nhs.uk or post it to:

EHIC Enquiries

PO Box 1114

Newcastle upon Tyne

NE99 2TL

If you are:

  • A pensioner in a different country to that which pays your state pension
  • A student studying outside the EEA
  • A student coming to study in the UK
  • A worker job posted abroad by your UK employer
  • A person who lives in a country but works in another
  • A person who lives in multiple countries
  • A person who works in multiple countries
  • Non-EEA or Swiss national

Please contact the enquiry line on 0300 330 1350 to understand the eligibility requirement for an EHIC. It is likely that you may be eligible and insured for other EEA country or Switzerland even if you are not for a UK EHIC.

Note: Circumstances that might lose your UK EHIC could be moving abroad, taking up work abroad or changing your residency status. If you use your invalid UK EHIC, you may be liable for the full cost of the treatment.

If you have any queries about EHIC and Medical Recruitment in UK, then feel free to contact us anytime.

Whoops, looks like something went wrong.